Thursday, April 10, 2014

Fun with ORB



One of my favorite bloggers is Nancy at Artsy Chicks Rule.  I follow her on Bloglovin and Pinterest because she has so many creative decorating diy ideas and instructive before-and-after posts.  Not long ago Nancy blogged about all the things in her home she has updated using "oil-rubbed bronze," a.k.a. ORB spray paint.  It was pretty impressive.  And it gave me an idea....



I decided to go to the local thrift store and pick up as many items as I could find within a $20 budget to experiment with ORB spray paint.  And just to be ornery, I tried finding test objects that would take this experiment to the very limits of hideousness.


I think I succeeded.







I used the no-mess "paint in a box" method that so many pinners recommend.  (I suppose I could have used a bigger box.)

It was easy.  I spray-painted each item (sometimes several at a time) inside the box, waited for the paint to dry, then rotated and repeated.  The paint dries quickly, so I was able to get most things completely covered within a few hours.

This was fun, and the results were surprisingly good...




Here are the "after" shots of my crazy collection.






You may have already seen what I did with the brass candle holder on a previous post.  If not, check it out.  










The scratched-up silver collage frame turned out nicely.

 And here are all the rest:



Now I get it.  People love oil-rubbed bronze spray paint for a reason:  it can make ANYTHING look good!

Well... almost anything.




Come on.   

6 comments:

  1. I love using metal spray paint! It's pretty amazing what a can of that liquid majic can do to make almost anything look better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the pictures don't do it justice. Such a nice play of light and texture that the camera just can't capture. Well, my camera, anyway!

      Delete
  2. Wow this is great! I definitely have to get some of the spray paint!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!!! Getting some for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a try! You'll love it! Thanks so much for stopping by.

      Delete